Sunday, December 19, 2010

Double Ovals


When I was in college I would go from Boulder to Ft. Collins for a few hours on the weekends to see my boyfriend. Once while I was visiting him, after we had said our hellos, we were getting ready to go out when he sat down and started playing his guitar. I sat down and pretended to listen, but was really fuming inside. He had all week to play his guitar, but only had a few hours with me! Why couldn't this wait until after I had left? As he finished playing, he informed me that he had written the music he had just played and it was entitled 4/18 (my birth date). Boy did I feel stupid!

I've recently had a similar experience with my husband. We were discussing my artwork at dinner and he asked why I never made art about him. "But, the double ovals are about you!" I said. We use our artwork to express our thoughts and feelings, but oftentimes forget to explain the meaning behind those pieces to the ones that we are making them for.

The double ovals are about the melding of two into one while maintaining individuality. They are about collaboration, but also about contrast, which can sometimes lead to conflict. Most importantly, they are about knowing that you can embark on new tasks and adventures with the comfort of knowing that someone will be standing by your side the whole time, supporting you. The light oval supports the dark one and vice versa, and the two are all the stronger for it.

1 comment:

  1. A good reminder that sometimes we need to explain our artwork to really share its power. Can't wait to read more posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete